BATB Promotions closes its 2019 programme in Maldon with a VERY special treat - charismatic and hugely-talented American singer and guitarist, Lisa Mills. Mills, born and raised in Mississippi state and currently resident in Mobile Alabama, is not only a fantastic songwriter, a terrific guitarist and a wonderful, warm, live performer, she has a voice to die for. It's one of those sharp, soulful, slightly raspy Southern American voices that wraps itself as easily around old blues tunes, jazz standards, country songs or soul classics, so expect to hear a bit of each.
CHARITY FUNDRAISING CEILIDH at Ely College on 9th November from 7-11pm
My name is Sheila Neill, I live in Ely and dance with Ely and Littleport Riot. Over the last 18 months, I have had a lot of care from both Papworth and Addenbrookes hospitals, and it struck me how lucky we are in this area to have such good hospitals, and all free at the points of supply through the NHS.
Stapleford Fiddle Day Saturday 9th November 2019
Mardles is pleased to announce a Fiddle Workshop day to be led by eminent fiddle player Dave Shepherd of Blowzabella. The workshop will be held at The Three Horseshoes, 2 Church Street, Stapleford, Cambridge CB22 5DS, just south of Cambridge on Saturday 9th November.
Format for the event is -
- Registration - 10:15 for 10.30am start
- Workshop 1 - Duration 2 hrs. English fiddle technique – bowings for hornpipes, decoration, using the fiddle for accompaniment (drones, chords and rhythm)
- Break for lunch - food and drink available to purchase at the pub
- Workshop 2 - Duration 1 1/2 hrs. Fiddle music from Western and Central France - Bourrees a trois temps from the Auvergne , rondes and avant-deux from the Vendee/Poitou
- Workshop 3 - Duration 1 1/2 hrs. The traditional english dance repertoire specific to the fiddle, including some examples from East Anglia
- Ending at about 17:00
An evening dance (not a ceilidh) open to the public will be held at another venue (tbc). Workshop attendees will be able to play for the dancing using music learnt during the day.